The Poo Free Parks™Program
Through a new and unique public-private partnership, Poo Free Parks® supplies, installs, and maintains Earth-Friendly Bag Dispensers filled with free biodegradable Pet Poo Bags to dog owners walking their furry friends in neighborhood and city parks throughout the United States. Poo Free Parks provides this service at no ongoing costs to the Municipality or taxpayer.
The entire program is completely subsidized by the generous contributions from our sponsors, who are recognized for their support on signage attached to each station.
The Poo Free Parks program is designed to help rid our parks of pet waste by attacking the problem from two angles; through public education, and through the consistent and reliable supply of tools necessary to “doo the right thing.”
The attractive, conveniently-placed, and reliably filled poo bag stations are located throughout dog-friendly parks, and act as reminders to dog owners that it is their responsibility to pick up after their pets. Predictably, compliance with curbing laws in parks serviced by the program has increased substantially.
Through our pilot program in Denver, we have learned that when a dog owner is provided with the tools needed to pick up after their pet, and are informed of the benefits of doing so, the pet owner responds appropriately. Perhaps more importantly, those who choose not to comply are scolded by others who are quick to point out that our stations nearby, and there is no excuse for them not to "doo" the right thing.
In addition to using biodegradable plastic bags, and in keeping with our commitment to “green” practices, maintenance staff members drive hybrid vehicles, effectively reducing our program’s overall carbon footprint.
Poo Free Parks® will provide the following services:
- Provide and install professionally-designed and attractive Poo Free Parks® bag dispensers made of 100% recyclable aluminum.
- Stock and re-stock the dispensers on a regular basis with 100% biodegradable plastic bags.
- Clean, maintain and repair dispensers, including graffiti removal.
- Clearly display a Poo Free Parks phone number on each dispenser for reporting any need for attention.
- Are constructed from 100% recyclable aluminum.
- Will not easily deteriorate and are designed to endure harsh weather conditions.
- Will be replaced and/or repaired when not functioning or fall short of appearance standards.
- Are secure from people using them as a waste basket.
- Are reliably stocked with biodegradable plastic poo bags.
- Are eye catching and pleasant to look at.
- Are locked to deter theft and vandalism.
- Oxo-biodegradable bags are made from 100% degradable plastics
- The bags will biodegrade within 18 months, once discarded properly.
- When biodegraded, only naturally occurring and environmentally beneficial elements (carbon, water, and biomass) will remain.
- Are as sturdy as regular plastic bags.
- Are recyclable with traditional plastics.
- Will not negatively impact soil, water, or air quality.
As caring members of the human community, our maintenance staff works diligently to service every single one of our stations, every single week, regardless of whether or not they are empty. Poo Free Parks also maintains a staff of advertising sales executives whose sole responsibility is to seek out advertising partners interested in doo-ing a good thing for the communities they serve, while seeing a valuable ROI for doing so. Additionally, Poo Free Parks works with local homeless rehabilitation facilities, and a battered women's shelter in an effort to employ their residents and graduates. Through this program, overworked Parks & Rec employees will be relieved of any responsibilities for checking bag stations, or securing the funds for keeping them filled with eco-friendly supplies.
Poo Free Parks® is able to provide this public service at no ongoing cost to the public by giving businesses the opportunity to sponsor dispensers and bags through advertising on signage attached to each station. Program sponsorship is similar in concept to the litter control programs along our nation’s roads and highways, where a tasteful sign announces what group or company is sponsoring the cleanup of a particular section of road, enabling organizations to contribute to a community service and receive recognition for doing so.
We Love Our Sponsors
Sponsoring organizations win because they get to sponsor an important community service and receive recognition for doing so – at a very reasonable cost.
Did You Know?
Pet Waste is a Serious Health Hazard
Dog feces are more than just a nuisance – pet waste can pose a serious health hazard. Why?.... A number of common parasites, including round worm, are transmitted via dog feces. When infected dog droppings are left on the ground the eggs of the roundworms and other parasites can linger in the soil for years. As a result, anyone who comes in contact with the soil also comes in contact with the infected eggs.